View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thanks, coderus. It's not just the 24/7 presence, I find IRC generally a pain to use. It's kinda OK for an immediate interaction but otherwise... Too much irrelevant info ("XY has joined/left"), no threading, no easy search... Basically if I have a question that has been already asked and answered 200 times, the only way to get the answer is to get online and ask again, hoping that someone who knows the answer is also online. It's just way too much effort.

Mailing lists are only marginally better. The best medium for getting answers are Usenet newsgroups, but very few youngsters even know such a thing exists.
IRC is what passes for "social networks" IMHO. The status changes (N.N. has left etc) and other background noise can be filtered out by your IRC client if you so desire.
The best way you can use IRC is to have a 24/7 server that is logged on to the channels you are intrested on, and ircnotify set up to email a ping to you if something that interests you happens...)

As for usenet, yes, that is the coolest thing since fridges
As it happens I run our company-internal news server (inn2), with a fair amount of traffic (301 articles posted last week, just checked now)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: