View Single Post
Hi, thanks for picking it up.

I would like to add external connector for antenna for exact same reasons, that old phone used with build-in external antenna corrector - gain in signal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but connecting antenna with parts being more time the half-wave length, and placed in more appropriate location - i.e. on roof of caravaning, instead of inside - would benefit in gaining signal strength?

This summer, while I was @ seaside using caravaning camp, I have 6% to 0% 3G signal strength inside - both using N900 and Huaweii E160 3G modem attached to notebook... But, E160 got micro-connector for external antenna, I was able to attach to it my dipol-random-wire ( ) FM antenna (from DVB-T/analog TV and radio hybrid dongle), and through window, place it on roof of caravaning. Resulting signal strength was 30-40%

To experiment even more, I connected it to dual-wideband antenna system, existing in campsite (for receiving digital TV, DVB-T - two big wideband antennas in opposite corners of campsite), and I got 80% signal strength.

So, basically, I would like being able to connect external antennas to my N900. As further project, I may design portable, pocket fractal antenna (I've designed one to get DVB-T in place where no other - even directional - antenna was able to even detect any station, so I think considering different wavelength, it's possible to create such thing for 2G/3G)...

I think even base design, involving just soldering connector to existing N900 internal antenna would work, but of course more "appropriate" approach (considering impedance of antenna?) suggestions are also welcomed.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: