Thread: [SailfishOS] [Announce] Poor Maps
View Single Post
Thanks @ringius for your reply, but unfortunately it misses the point a bit:

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@olf, assuming that mimic is installed correctly and didn't get damaged on download
Well, pckon / rpm should have complained then, right?

the most probable cause of problems is OOM killer.
I did not watch or capture memory statistics, but mimic was eating 1/3 of the available processing power of the Jolla 1 phone (i.e. most of one core), when used on the command line (in fingerterm, with no other applications running, but AlienDalvik started).
Hence I concluded that using mimic is not a good choice on Jolla 1 phones, as it is supposed to run concurrently with OSMscout server and a native Map app, plus eventually other apps. If mimic's memory consumption is known to be excessive, that supports this conclusion.

The first on the list gets picked.
Thanks, I have not found that clearly documented elsewhere yet, but already guessed so.

Now, if OOM gets involved, you could test it by checking what's exit value after running in shell.
AFAIR it was 0, i.e. O.K.

But for these technical reasons (and as mimic is English language only), I uninstalled mimic some days ago and decided to use picotts (as pointed out in my last post in this discussion thread).

Still I wonder, why picotts works flawlessly within PoorMaps on one Jolla 1 phone and is silent on the other (while pico2wav is working fine, if invoked at the shell).
Any hints on how to debug this are appreciated, still.

Last edited by olf; 2018-03-09 at 21:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post: