Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
The first release (1.2.0) is out and let me go through the new features introduced into WhoGo Maps 1.1 code as a part of this release.

Before I will get into the details, I would like to thank Osmo again. Its an amazing code base, well thought through release process and its documentation. Thanks to that, making this release and setting up transifex page turned out to be faster than I anticipated, thank you Osmo!

For translators, if you are interested, please join the corresponding team. I don't think I can invite you automatically over.

This code was written over the last month and was focused on navigation aspects since I was preparing for rather long drives during vacation.

Map matching

OSM Scout Server provides DBus service that takes consecutive locations and matches them with the road. Obviously, you have to tell whether you are walking, cycling, or driving to match the corresponding road. Since it all works locally, you get the road matched coordinates fast (<100ms for the worst response time on my tests). In addition, you get current speed limit and the street name.

Speed limit and street name are now displayed by Pure Maps while you navigate. For that, enable "snap to road" on navigation page. You could also snap to road while you just walk around, this is done in Preferences. Personally, I am using it while navigating only.

Obvious requirement: installed and setup OSM Scout Server.

GUI styling in accordance with the map

In WhoGo Maps, the dark maps were supported rather poorly. Colors of GUI elements, route and location indicators were not in sufficient contrast with the map. Now, together with each map provider, we can set through its configuration file. This includes route, GUI elements and icons displayed on the map. Think of themes, one per each map. So, we can have separate "darker" themes for OSM Scout Night and Mapbox Traffic Night.

Those with better understanding of color schemes, please feel free to propose other combinations.

Navigation controls and zoom factor

Navigation controls got rearranged with the focus on the data that is relevant in this mode. In particular, you can see large speed indicator, estimated time of arrival, remaining time and distance. To make space, WhoGo Maps regular menu button is hidden during navigation and its functionality is provided by the navigation controls on the bottom of the screen (speed, remaining time and distance).

The arrangement has been made for landscape mode. I think it works quite well in this mode as well and I have driven bit more than a half of my travels with it. So, in addition to portrait, Pure Maps supports landscape as well.

When navigating, you could select now the zoom factor for a map. This zoom factor can be specified for each navigation mode (foot, car, bicycle, transit) separately. Thus, you could account to the difference in the distance between your eyes and the device at different modes. This zoom factor is applied only when you press start in navigation page and overwrites the zoom factor in Preferences. Defaults are 2 for car and bicycle, 1 for foot and transit.

Data shown during navigation

I have tried to reduce the amount of text shown as a part of the navigation instructions. Namely, instead of "Turn right to Street Such and ...", it will show just "Street Such" in big letters. Anyway, we already have an icon showing what to do and its just harder to read smaller text while driving. This is not always possible (sometimes street name is missing), then small text with the maneuver description is shown instead.

In addition, some routers, provide signs that are on the road before maneuver. This could include exit number, exit towards, and such. If this data is available, Pure Maps will show the sign with the corresponding text when you approach the maneuver (but should be well in time). So, this allows you to find the corresponding traffic sign on the road and follow it. Also, when the street is not available, but the sign data is, the sign data will be shown with ⇨ in front of it.

Its important to use a router that supports all these data. Valhalla has a full support by Pure Maps. MapQuest plugin has support for street names, but not signs. As I could see, MapQuest has some sign support, but its different from Valhalla and I haven't worked on it.

Valhalla is a default router of OSM Scout Server, so its users are covered. For online router provider, I have added Stadia Maps which provides routing via Valhalla. Osmo was not sure in their reliability, hence he didn't include it. However, let's test it in practice and see how good they are. So, I would urge all online router users to switch to that provider and use it. Please report back. If all is fine, I will consider setting them as a default due to full support by Pure Maps.

Search along route

OSM Scout Server allows to search along the route. So, when you have route selected, Nearby Venues search has an option "Search along the route" for OSM Scout provider. This allows you to search for POIs that are next to the route (distance specified by "radius" option on that page), like searching for cafes, fuel stations. In addition, you could search not from the start of the route, but from some other location along it (current location, for example). For that, specify relevant location as "Near" and enable "search starting from the reference point"

Misc

I have removed Cartago maps, since Osmo is considering taking it down. All API keys have been replaced with my keys, I should not have missed any. Finally, English Pirate voice instructions are back for Valhalla routers.

I did my best with testing this release, but since some changes were introduced recently as a part of the forking effort, there maybe some bonus bug lurking. Let me know and I'll do my best in fixing them.

Last edited by rinigus; 2018-08-23 at 16:43.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: