View Single Post
What do you guys think about Aspect Ratios?

For a modern device we can have anything from:
1:1 (1.0) "Square"
4:3 (1.333) "TV"
3:2 (1.5)
8:5 (1.6)
13:8 (1.62) "Golden Ratio"
16:9 (1.78) "Movies"
2:1 (2.0) "Rectangle"
21:9 (2.33) "Ultra wide movies"

I used to be told that 16:9 was the Golden Ratio and mimics the human eye's aspect ratio.
I've only recently found out it was a economic move by Hollywood, and it was meant to cause fragmentation between Movies and TV's.... due to the threat of Home Entertainment on the Hollywood business.

And only found out that the human eye's field of view is actually 4:3. But we have spherical eye's, and thus we have a more oval-shaped field of views. So its like a (N9 icon) squircle 4:3 with left-right oval tapering off.

Due to this peripheral vision, our eyesight is probably more closer to the Golden Ratio or 16:9 (or even Ultra-wide ratio if the display cups around your head)... rather than 4:3. One thing I was sort of contemplating was the 3:2 ratio. It seems like an okay compromise for tablets (sort of squarish) and for phones (iPhone 4S). The letter-boxing for 4:3 or 16:9 videos aren't too bad. And it seems easy to adjust UI between portrait and landscape modes, since its one-part to one-half parts.

What do you think?
If you were to design a phone AND tablet, would they have the same aspect ratio?
If not what would they be?
And if both the phone and tablet HAD to have the same aspect ratio, what would you go with?

...maybe Dave should start a new thread for this particular question/dilemma___

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post: