View Single Post
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I now have the Note and like it very much. Rav pretty much hits the nail on the head.
As I also have a N9, I thought I'd indicate some differences between the two (with occasional
reference to n900), but I should point out that I'm not interested in being a "fanboy" of any particular device.
In my view I want everyone to succeed so, as a consumer, I benefit from progress made on all fronts.
Regardless, these are intitial observations and conclusions can change as I learn how to use better them or
take advantage of software that is available.

Swipe on N9 is great for managing tasks. Very intuitive and hard to go back to old ways once
you use it for a couple of days. The multitasking is a little clumsy on Note compared to
N9. For example if you edit a document and press home button, the editing is suspended and
you are placed at the home screen. You can then try something else like use web or maps and then
return to home screen again. If you now hold the home button down for a second you are
taken to the task bar which lists the most recent processes you have not closed yet. You can then
select document editor and you are automatically returned to the point you left off. Not sure of the
maximum number of items you can put on task bar but I had 4 or 5 there one time or another.
Anyways the Note's multitasking is not as nice as n9 or N900 but doable.

Speaking of editors, the Polaris editor is very good at reproducing somewhat sophisticated documents
with, for example, scientific equations. The only thing really better is open office on n900.
but the problem with the n900, in my view, is that it needs a bigger screen and more ram to handle open office.
The editing with Polaris is adequate for many typical documents. As mentioned in a previous post
having Libre Office would be a awesome on Note. Hope it happens. For the total control freak, nothing
beats Latex (which works nicely on N900 thanks to easy debian). The N9s document editor wasn't as
capable as Polaris. Reproduction a documents with equations was poor. It is ok for minor text editing.
Hopefully a better editor is in the works for the N9.

On Note, maps is very good. You can pinch and rotate which is nice. One thing I though looked cool on the N9 is how the street names snake along the roads when you move the map image around. 3D renderings are also nice on n9.

Well these comments just scratch the surface as I've just got the Note and N9 but if there is anything you
want me to compare between Note and N9 let me know and I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Actually task management is much better than I originally thought. See post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=158

EDIT 2: In this comment I had previously indicated that the Nokia maps are about 5 years old based on not seeing a renovation I had done on my deck back then. Actually on closer inspection the renovated deck is probably in the image. It's hard to make out for sure as the image is a bit blurry. The Google satellite image was shaper and clearly shows the new deck. Up shot is that the Nokia maps are more recent. Probably summer 2010.

Last edited by mscion; 2011-12-16 at 13:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: