View Single Post
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Absolutely. To the limited extent that MS allows them of course.

Money does wonderfully corrupt things.
  • The board probably has been bought off, promised cushy non-executive positions on MS's board when they takeover the soon to be dead Nokia.
  • With enough money you can buy off the DoJ to call off their United State vs Microsoft case.
  • With enough money you can stuff enough stooges into the ISO standards approval process to get a non-implementable standard get voted in as a standard.
I'm done. I love surreal comedy but this is getting too surreal even for me. When the conspiracy folks at abovetopsecret.com are putting forth sounder logic (top member thread pick today involves how the Israel UFO video is probably a hoax) than here... there's no way to discuss the issue. When an empty assertion is considered an argument.. how do you respond? When people are not only entitled to their own opinion but their own set of facts (by simply making them up as they go along)... how can there be rational discussion? When the Scobelizer blog leads off its article on Nokia fans with a picture of a basket of walnuts, maybe that ought to be a hint the more extreme elements should be reined in to avoid making everyone look foolish, as all of the mocking plan(whatever) websites are already doing.

Gerbick, I'm not going to become part of the MeeBorg collective, I'm getting into an escape pod and abandoning ship. I'll watch from a distance as WP7 becomes the #2 smart phone OS thanks to Nokia and Nokia means something again in America besides ultra-cheap phones (like the Nokia 2720 I bought for $40 unlocked). I expect to see desktop OSes on handhelds before my new nephew enters kindergarten, something which is somewhat possible today with devices like the Viliv N5 and UMID BZ. Canonical will probably deliver the small device open OS consumer-focused software that MeeGo was supposed to be in the interim.

Good luck, folks. My recommendation is that instead of daydreaming "Plan B" scenarios and not looking at what the rest of the world is writing about "Plan A" (interestingly devoid of conspiracy theory) you fork Maemo, code open source versions of the closed source parts using the Qt tools I've been told in another post are the most popular in the entire world, even more so than VS and .NET, and produce your own ARM-based consumer OS. If all it should take is, in the words of Steve Ballmer, "developers, developers, developers" then this should be accomplished even quicker than those here claimed MeeGo could have been whipped into shape by Nokia if they hadn't all been bribed by Microsoft. If things like "copy and paste" are both simple and essential, your fork should be state-of-the-art and completely polished out of the box, else it shall be failure. If the market doesn't want to pinch widgets and buy apps then it should also be adopted by commercial companies and you'll be vindicated. But, if that doesn't happen, at least you'll have done something more productive towards getting yourselves a desktop/phone OS than plotting to storm stockholder meetings. I sincerely wish you good luck turning whatever code you have available into the OS you've been dreaming of, but I expect you'll find it's not as simple as you think nor will the results be as market-grabbing. Me, I think I'd rather slap openSUSE 11.3 on a Viliv N5 and carry it around with my new $40 Nokia phone and call it a day.