View Single Post
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ok... let me ask you this. Why does it have to be one or the other? Good for developers shouldn't mean that users lose out with a weaker UI/UX and a strong (or simple) UI/UX shouldn't mean that the developers take a loss or are boxed in. Too much of that mentality is prevalent now and thus if it becomes a quickly stated stance of "Too shiny, it's for the sheep" or "Too difficult, it's gotta be for developers" when neither should be true.
Of course it doesn't, but one must prevail. The thing is, for the end user it's better if all of the UI/UX is consistant throughout the whole system, including 3rd party apps. And in most cases, it also helps the developer - but then again it stifles creativity because you, as a developer, are forced to obey some system manufacturer's guidelines, which can range from severely limited to downright frustrating.

In an ideal system, the user would be informed when installing an app that it may affect the system performance, look and feel, and let the user decide if the app is worth granting such access.

As it stands though, many reports are sorta negative around the SD card usage for WP7.
Changing the SD card resets the system for some reason, so we were reluctant to try it. And, as I understood, even then you wouldn't be able to add music to the media player that way - it's either Zune way or the highway.

Having it both ways is ideal, imho. Desktop app and mount as a device...
Still waiting... a week later of playing with it, WP7 doesn't give me that.
Ditto, and that's one, amongst other things, that Nokia loses going the WP7 way. Granted, both PC Suite and the later Ovi Suite never got to the ease of use of competing suites, but they were still enough for a laymen - us, techies, are using rsync for years now. It even works on newer s40 devices. I can't see how that is bad for the user, and how a platform that doesn't provide you with such basic functionality is 'created with user in mind'

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post: