View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Techradar: displays a giant grey page complaining about my use of ad-blockers (uBlock here).
add techradar to NoScript blacklist, website works (minus some photo illustration)

Palm:
a smart device that piggy backs on phone would have been great back in the 00s, back in the PDA era (that's how i used my Palm IIIc, Palm Tunsgtem T3, Tapwave Zodiac, etc. paired over IrDA and later Bluetooth to various Ericsson dumbphones).

But I completely fail to see the use case in 2018.

Probably they are aiming for the latest "fed up with always online smartphones, constant e-mails, bosses treating e-mails like IM, and sorial-network induced FOMO" that has caused the return of modern dumb phone.

Except that they aim for that subset of them that has elicted to completly drop smart phones and only use dumb phones as main daily drivers.

Except that, there in for the very specific sub-subset of the above, that actually needs smart features, but insist on owning a dumbphone only and utterly refuses to have a secondary smartphone.

so basically back to the dumbphone+PDA use cas of two decades ago, except nowadays, the whole market for that has dwindled to about 5 people, all of which are already working in this San Francisco startup that bought up the Palm name.

the only advantage I see is battery life:
- dumbphone
- only occasionally connected PDA
both can be made to last for a week.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: