View Single Post
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
as ovi maps is down and nither there would be any maps update nor any chances of possible fixes so its high time to have a nice simple default maps client similar to what we have sipping with cssu possibly or available in the repos

Maps are nowadays an essential part of a handheld and of course we have a couple of them available like modrana marble etc and are fine to some extent but i was suggesting for a new here maps client as the ovi client can be considerd dead so definately a working maps client should be available as an update via cssu possibly

i thought of brainstroming it as it seemed quite possible to use here.com
i tried microb but it repetedly asks to visit here.com while i am still there or it hangs or just keeps loading
i tried opera and it also has the issue of constantly loading and improper rendering etc
i tried a couple of more browsers nothing worked reliably but to my amazement it just ran awsome on the ancient maccuo browser

so what is the problem?
well despite it ran well on maccuo it was not fun using it as maccuo has no support for geolocation aslo it cannot save maps as there is no support for offline cacheing furthermore its not initutive to launch a browser then fiddle with it it should be one click

why it seems doable
technically it just needs a capable web browser it even works in androind 2,3 and as it already works in its half glory so should be fesiable to put togther a standalone app with some effort if actually implementing the missing features were easy . i dont have an idea if the missing features can be implemented or not

whats the uproar all about on a hear maps client?
well it can run offline
can download maps of entire regions easily
good looking maps enough to get around A to B and more
sync pois
search for places
simple and nice ui
actually it behaves similar to the ovi client we have abiet much better it even got a better look
Attached Images

Last edited by nokiabot; 2014-08-22 at 20:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post: