View Single Post
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
The thing is that by lacking an upstream community distribution being developed in the open (a tried and tested model used in Fedora/RHEL, OpenSUSE/SLES, Debian/Ubuntu) Sailfish OS is in a pretty bad position.

Community can't help with testing and integration of new components, so it all falls back to internal Jolla developers, delaying library and toolchain updates further and further. This also effectively mean most components don't have a stable maintainer, so even if community members want to contribute improvements an fixes to open parts of Sailfish OS, it takes ages to get them merged.

So while the community + stable/enterprise distro model is definitely not without overhead, I think Jolla is seriously risking it's future without using it - and without enabling more community involvement overall. It's pretty apparent at this point that both single-handedly maintaining it's own distro in a reasonably current & safe state without community help and also adding new features and hardware support is not really working out.
Is there any reason why SailfishOS couldn't be built on top of, say, Fedora, just like Linux Mint is built on top of Ubuntu? The current repository state is a nightmare, with everything as old as the current CentOS release.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
It comes to mind, the comparison Jolla/Apple also has some substance. The good part of apples success is presenting a consistant experience to the user. The propriatary bits of sailfish are mostly those that have direct influence to this red-line/UX. Imho jolla planned a trade-off between control over ux and not having the advantage of foss contributions in those areas.
How this plan turned out with decreasing inhouse dev-force and community is another matter. Good intentions, crippled by (market) reality.
There's one thing most of people out there are missing, I guess. It's a really, really big problem that we have absolutely no app compatibility between Nemo and Sailfish.

I mean, if you want your application work on both Nemo and Sailfish, you need to maintain two trees of your QML sources. That's a big maintenance burden.

The lack of abstraction layer allowing to target both these platforms has a disastrous effect - there are virtually no Nemo applications, which means that those, who would sacrifice the eye-candy for a fully open source stack, well, can't. Even though the platforms are so pretty similar.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: