View Single Post
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by tso View Post
while correct, i find myself reading that as "restriction of use" each time i bump into it.

mama corp says you should always do things "this" way, and just to be sure, have made it very hard to do it any other way...

the trick, imo, is making it easy to use out of the box, while also allowing the geeks to run riot of so wanted/needed (need being in the eye of the geek, not the corp)...
Actually, "ease of use" should read "restricted use." I'm sorry if you don't feel that is right, but the only what that you can guarantee a high level of quality of service, while ensuring profitability, is to either standardize on some type of convention with a ton of other folks (W3C for example), or be your own standards (Apple) and utilize your position to level set expectations for everyone else.

Contrary to the "geek" want, restrictions invite success. The key is finding innovation when there are walls around you. If you will, freedom is not anarchy, but knowing the rules and succeeding in spite of them.