View Single Post
I think it is worrying that they keep referring to these emerging markets, whereas "Europe" (and "North America") isn't mentioned anywhere. What exactly has this business strategy given them so far? A failed contract with some South African nobody provider, a failed contract with an Indian webshop, a failed contract for a piece of crap phone with an Indian nobody provider with likely the worst customer service in the galaxy and because of that a whole bunch of angry illiterate and gullible Indians spamming the comments on the Jolla store and spamming TJC. A winning strategy, clearly.

Meanwhile, in the places of the world where people are actually interested in their products, there is nothing. I will be using my Jolla phone for the next ten years unless it breaks down, but what are others supposed to do? Unofficial ports are not exactly an option because your support depends on the porter's personal interests, you don't have Android support, you don't have Exchange support and you don't have access to the Jolla store. After more than three years, the Jolla store is still a complete joke with no way to pay for applications other than indirectly through flattr, with no way to properly filter or to view more than three screenshots, with no quality control whatsoever, with nowhere near the amount of applications available on OpenRepos due to extremely misguided restrictions, with no web interface, to put it short: with nothing to offer. And yet, without this store available, the only way for a port user to install things is by using OpenRepos.

But surely selling Sailfish in China, where even a baby already has five different phones, will solve all problems.

I am as far as one could be from being a business mastermind, and yet Jolla's management is even farther.

I'll take those claims about "further open sourcing" with more grains of salt than there are in the Dead Sea (maybe a good emerging market?). They've been repeated over the past three years, always "coming soon!" or "more info in the next months!", and except from the browser and documents applications years ago, nothing has changed.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post: