View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
The n900 running anything the n8x0 can?
Virtually all the work by penguinbait and qole ...
I suggest looking up exactly what the n8x0 managed to run ..
It is pretty impressive...and I never saw a minuscule fraction of any of it available for the n900.
And I seriously doubt it was due to lack of interest.

And that is just os-wise...

The work JUST those two did as well on alternate DE's and WM's for the n8x0 also is pretty impressive...
yet again ..I don't see the bulk of what they accomplished for the n8x0 ..available for the n900..

As far as applications go....
even something as mundane ...
(and as far as I feel ...SO needed...)..
I don't see an auto-updating auto-scrolling rss feed widget for the n900...
Or did I miss that?

Hell I don't see that for android or linux...
maybe I am not looking in the right places ...but I have yet to find anything on any other device than the n8x0's that offer that gem.

Or actual xmms .... which can handle 1000's and 1000's of songs in a playlist at a time...
that has a good list of plugins...
that has virtualization eye candy....
xmms can run on the n8x0...
why isn't it available for the n900?

sure we now have oscp for the n900 and n8x0...
which is much more well rounded than xmms...
But even still...why isn't there xmms for the n900 if it can run the same stuff the n8x0 can?

you would think from day 1 that THAT program would have been ported over ...or at least come stock...
BETTER..since the belief is that the n900 is such the up-tick in design and innovation over the n8x0.....the n900 should have come with or been ported xmms2 .....actually.

No I think ...when all is said and done...
If what the n8x0 ...( past tense as well...could , did...and still does) accomplish .....
it is a given then ....
with such certainty that the n900 is such a huge improvement and leap over the n8x0...
that if it were possible ...
it would have been almost immediately done ...and available for the n900 ....
So why not?

Is it that the same people who accomplished volumes for the n8x0 ...
and who also had the n900...
weren't interested in making the same things that the n8x0 available for the n900?
I find that hard to believe...

In short...
Precious little of what the n8x0 could accomplish made it's way to the n900.
Dig back ...and look enough and start writing down a list of the os's, de's, and wm's that folks got running on both the n900 and the n8x0 ...
and to my understanding ...on those 3 areas alone...
the n900 being slightly more updated ..with a little more ram ..
and the n900 being a physical "phone" as well ...
(and even then..sip and internet telephony and skype still work on the n8x0 ...so ...)
all of which are outdated.

is all the n900 has going for it compared to the n8x0 ...
in 2017.
Lack of interest, or lack of developers... Either way, feel free to try and port anything and everything you want from N8x0 to N900. Yes, it would take dedication and focus.

I am not interested in alternative operating systems, desktop environments, or window managers; I am interested in apps, and ones well-integrated at that.

It's frustrating when "Where" field of a Calendar even isn't connected to Maps. It's annoying when "Artist" in Music Player, or "Creator" in Photo Gallery, isn't connected to Contacts.

It's terrible when I find it difficult, and nigh impossible, to see a Hildon (not Python, not Qt, not Gtk with its tiny buttons and menus) app for Maps, displaying streets and such as vectors (and buildings in 3D; and sky with up-to-date weather), and satellite or aerial as raster, at the same time, and capable of offline routing and turn-by-turn voice directions.

Yes, I ask for a lot. It may be daunting; it may be inspiring. I am not offended by Qt by itself, but I think that Qt belongs with a Qt-based environment, such as KDE. I have nothing against Python, but Modrana, much as I find it to be the most usable map (and not just on N900 - I haven't seen a better map app anywhere) atm, looks very different from the rest of the desktop environment. Mussorgsky, also written in python, looks very similar to Hildon apps, but has some quirks with displaying a list of objects; sometimes, instead of displaying "A B C", it shows "A A C" or "A C C".

I want a PDF viewer, simple and fast, which is written with Hildon, which can find text in pages, and which has a plugin for OCR recognition. Ideally, which can be used as PDF editor as well when needed - or, at least, to fill in forms.

I want to unite Notes and Sketch in one app - and yes, it would be challenging. I want for Sketch to be able to save SVG files (eraser could be "deleter of elements" in SVG mode, just like it is "deleter of pixels" in raster mode). I want for united app to be able to save HTML files which include raster images and vector images, besides text and bullet points (and tables), and to have a button calling forward the browser (much like Camera has the button for Photos). I want for Sketch to be able to open a jpg file and use it as a background layer for drawing (either raster or SVG) on top of it, and then either flatten the layers together into one raster image, or have the two layers saved in one html file.

I want a lot. I will hardly have time to do it myself. I can hope for developers to do it, but I don't expect them to make large steps. Just, if you can develop - do something, something you want to do; make time for it. And that's directed at myself, too - I did develop a few years ago, even though I am rusty.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: