View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I have to ask; do any of these brands really mean anything to you guys? At least when Nokia was doing it, you knew it was going to be quality.
Nokia? Quality? Might I remind of the N900 USB port problem? The same question of quality can be asked for other leading brands... Samsung and exploding batteries... It seems Apple still haven't learnt from the iPhone 4 Antennagate.

I do see your point though. I don't expect the quality of these Chinese brands like GPD and One-Netbook to be any better. Much less in fact. I look at these Chinese devices and I see design issues. The keyboards have awkwardly placed keys. The placement of the hinge on the GPD Pocket (1 and 2) makes it awkward to use the bottom of the touchscreen. The thing is, if you want a modern computer (with either Windows or mainline Linux) that fits in your pocket, there aren't any other options. I'd love it if a leading brand made something similar but they aren't. At the end of the day, there are many happy users of these devices, despite their quirks. I must admit I'm just happy to see competition in this market, even if it is from an unknown brand. Given that context, I'm not likely to be an early adopter. I still haven't bought any of these devices. The OneMix 2 looks interesting but I'll wait for it to be released, see how well it is received and if there are any issues with (lack of) Linux drivers before deciding what to buy.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: