View Single Post
I've always been a fan and owner of Nokias since the early days from the most basic to recently the n95, n85 and now the n900.
My n900 is now gathering dust till I sell it for probably a £350 loss in six months. It works 100% but*I'm now using an old Nokia 6230 instead.
Why? Well as a phone the 6230 just simply works with no hassle.
Don't even know it's in my pocket, battery lasts forever, simpler to make and answer calls and I can text quicker than on the n900.
I know the phone is a secondary feature on the n900 but it's a pain when you do have to use it. The 6230 doesn't have a camera of any use, no fm radio, useless wap browser, no gps, no games, no apps.
I bought the n900 because I spend a lot of my time commuting by train and browsing the web. So the ability to have one device that can make calls, play music, good camera, has an fm radio and has a full browser with wifi and 3G was a simple choice. I bought mine as soon as they were available sim free in the uk. I could have got an iPhone or an android but I liked Nokias - the androids didn't have all the features and the iPhone didn't support flash or have a radio.
I've got a net book but even that is too bulky and I ended up leaving at home after a while. I was given a Blackberry Bold and realised how bad the n900 is as a USEABLE phone and portable browser - never mind for emails. When I had the blackberry and n900 on the table and needed to make a call or quickly look at say the news headlines I'd always choose the Bold.
When the iPad came out it looked like it could be the answer but it didn't do flash, have a radio and was locked down. And it didn't have a USB port, camera and can't SMS.
In the end I succumbed partly because I love new gadgets and colleagues/friends of mine loved it and it was a just a delight to use.
After a week and a half of using it I'm completely sold on it.
It's not a phone or a laptop replacement but the stuff it does do more than justifies it's cost to me.
It's got a few annoying features (especially flash) but I now wouldn't be without it.
Great to use on the train, in the car, on the couch, sat in the grandstand at a grand prix using an app to monitor lap times etc. It doesn't fit in my pocket but if it did the screen would be too small to be of any real use.
I'm sure I'm going to be flamed by Nokia diehards and the Apple haters but I know a * 60 yr old technophobe as well as UNIX dba's and sa's that love it in equal measure. Nuff said :>(*