View Single Post
Well.. u have to make a new partition for the swap you are going to use.. it can be on either card; it doesn't matter which..

So you need to either dabble in resizing your current partition if you only have One on your SD card.. or reformat and start over. I tried the resize approach here at work and FUBAR'd the whole card and had to start over .. it's a risk you take. I did it off memory though.. using this as a guideline may have helped (I didn't take off journaling first).. http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resi...xt3_partitions

Anyway.. once you decide how you want your card lined up.. Say your first partition is Swap, and the rest is / all you have to do is:

Code:
mkswap /dev/mmcblk1p1
Which prepares it for swap use.. and then to manually add it

Code:
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p1
Or .. to load it at boot (recommended).. you have to modify your /etc/fstab and append the line

Code:
/dev/mmcblk1p1  swap  swap  defaults  0  0
Then it will start at boot.. or to start it without rebooting is just swapon -a. You can have as many swap paritions as you want.. The Clone to SD deb I loaded created a 128MB swap on my internal 2G card, and I created a 512 swap on my external card.. so I added two lines to my /etc/fstab; one for each device.

To check how much swap you have, and how much is being used (including memory)

Code:
free -m
My output (while it's totally idle):

Code:
         total    used  free  shared   buffers  cached
Mem:  123     112    11    0          12          40
Swap:  608    92     515
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-08-06 at 16:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: