View Single Post
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
I will say this only once, sorry for big letters but this should be remember by everyone:

IF YOU HAVE/USING ANY OF NOKIA INTERNET TABLET (including n9, but here wise move is to have Sailfish OS*) IT IS NO JUST GOOD IDEA, IT'S MANDATORY TO HAVE EVERY POSSIBLE TOOL FOR PC (Firmwares, flashers etc) BACKUPED ON DVD/MICROSD/PENDRIVE AND ANY HARDWARE STORAGE YOU HAVE.

In fact, one should have multiple copies of mentioned tools. There are some web archives, but they won't be there forever. When those will go down you still have things you need. Also, you can create your own web archive so another one could achieve those even if he is late.

Maemo based devices and, in fact, maemo all alone is a dying platform. Don't get me wrong, I will be using maemo until it's last seconds I will do everything to keep it alive even after nokia wrote death sentence to their best os, if not the best world's os.

The hek, I'm still using n800, ptfu, I revel it to the point of it's limit. Almost 10years old device still can be very usefull - In my line of work, even better - I found n800 to be more dust-resistant then n900, so it's perfect mp3 player and IM messenger connected to tightly closed n900 when Im at work (Wood and all kind of varnishes grinding).

And so, what about the * with n9? Meego is still in good shape, for sure it's better optimized and faster than other available OS's for n9. But, I get the impression that n900 (maemo 5) is provided with more support (CSSU is one of many proofs). But n9 will get another few years of future with full support when n900 most probably will not.
For n9 we have working Sailfish OS from Jolla which at this point is stable-enough and got most functionalities. I shouldn't even mention the fact that Sailfish OS is continuation of Meego it's another and more mature (?) platform risen up from the same ground.

For end: It's good to do one more thing with your device. Flash your tablet, repartition it, move os to media card if you like. Set it up the way you like, install most apps (including those that you don't use, but might, or just seem to be useful at some point). Consider applying patches/fixes/updates provided by community and confirmed as working right (Many are exist on maemo wiki with easy manual what it does and how to do it, for example, on n900 adding swap on microsd card [consider buing fast card] will improve device multitask ability and handling with resource hungry apps in a way when you will see with naked eye) Then, when all is ready clone your device and save your backup everywhere you can. This way, even when black scenario will hit you (Device is down, you can't find os images, repos doesn't work anymore and there is few active users on forum that is falling appart) you have your backup and without any support you can bring you device back to life and enjoy it.

Or you can just leave alone and buy another android shitty phone (Bad idea if you demand more then multicored phone that will slow down to performance of nokia 3410 after few apps are installed)
Or buy neo900 and never-ever again worry about no support. Only thing that will slightly limit you will be hardware, but not exactly. Neo900 HW will provide almost 100% do-what-you-want device that any available phone can't even be consider 5% HW open, Yes, you can swap sim card, yeah!. With neo900 You will be able to rearrange whole platform while Samsung Galaxy is almost impossible to take it apart, separate screen from thouch panel and so on.

ADMINS - Im very sorry for constant off-topic driving but I couldn't express my thoughts other way.

While are we here, is it possible to clone whole maemo repository site?
I'm managing fast server for my client. It was supposed to be kind of dropbox for files exchange but now it is used as ftp server with some files company needs to have available everywhere. So, 99,99% of storage is wasted (2x1TB HDD) and 100% of capacity (2000mb/s - 2000 MEGABYTES PER SECOND, 2GB/s.

Server is paid for 5 years in advance so I can use it as backup not just for me, but let's just say for users since 770 to n810. I think that sever speed will be enough while n900 users will probably crash it every minute. I will make new topic about soon, but not now, my girl is here and she is very impatient

Last edited by Ridd92; 2016-08-05 at 13:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post: