View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You have conveniently forgotten to list the FOSS equivalents of fart apps, never ending forks of forks or various hello world applications.
You have conveniently forgotten to list how much unusable/me-too/buggy/harmful/hostile software exists in the paid-app stores.
Now when I think about it, seems that FOSS fartapps are tiny and relatively harmless subset of all that.

The fact that you and I do not use them does not make them not exist and form the 95% or more of the FOSS offerings.
I'd rather think it is the other way around; there's lot less software in OpenRepos (or whatever equivalents exist) than for example in Debian main!

None of them are actually the masterpieces of creation that some die-hard FOSS advocates seem to believe that FOSS is.
Merit of any software is difficult to judge and can be appraised many ways; I myself value functioning as specified, being usable for the intended purpose and having as little bugs as possible.

Whether the piece of SW is FOSS or closed source does not affect whether it is "a masterpiece of creation" however it might have an effect on whether it can be better; You just cannot argue that it is easier to maintain closed source software.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: