View Single Post
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Sygic started off a couple years ago as some one-guy-project or so They were and still are quite small but their nav system covers every major player on the market. Sygic Drive runs on Windows Mobile, Android, UIQ, S60, even iPhone I believe and now Maemo.

It's not the best available, but fulfills everything a nav system has to fulfill. Optically it's drawing alot from TomTom, since it started off as a TomTom clone Sygic has been bought by Teleatlas a couple years ago and Teleatlas themselves belong to TomTom. So it now even became it's bigger cousins little fellow

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
Does anyone know if you can/will get (or will be able to subscribe to) traffic reports w/Sygic?
No, Sygic doesnt offer any subscription based additional functionality other than a (I believe) monthly updated speed camera database. They are just too new in the business and still too small.

Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
Never heard of them, are they any good?
How do they compare to google maps or Ovi maps seeing as there is no google maps at the moment...
They are completely different to Google Maps. Sygic Drive is what TomTom or Navigon or Garmin is, an onboard offline navigation solution where you put that and that many megabytes or gigabytes of map data onto your device/memory card and that's the data the program accesses. As mentioned, optically it started off as a complete TomTom rip-off clone and still looks quite similar. It's not fully matured yet but it's cheap and cheerful, offers everything a navigation prog has to offer. And is owned by the major mapping company in the world so there will always be map updates Cant compare to Ovi Maps, don't know it yet.

Edit: Don't know Ovi maps I mean. I'm running around with some fancy robot in my pocket at the moment ;-)

Last edited by schaggo; 2009-11-13 at 21:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post: