Thread: New Phone
View Single Post
Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Jolla - The First One is the way to go!

Actually, it's a little rough around the edges but the community is so active and the software updates so frequent... it will be another product in a few months
I got one next to me while typing but on the edge of sending it back. I need to replace my n900 - the Jolla Phone needs that much tinkering right now what makes me very unsure to keep it.
...in a few months it might be "ok" but in the same time I get a mobile with a much more potent hardware while waiting to get it straightened out (by community).
That's what makes me wonder if I should keep it.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'll probably go with Moto X - a little bit of customization goes a long way for my purchase and the recent drop in price for an unlocked phone also helps - but I'm US based, Jolla isn't an option at the moment.

Android and security - almost a bit laughable out of the box. You've done your research it seems. Jolla is invariably more secure though. But be careful, Knox has known security vulnerabilities...

(38)
Europe based here. Jolla is no option for you due to your US location or due to other things?
I agree with you, Android and security is...not easy. F-Droid would be the first place to look for apps. Keeping Google out seems hard, even on the Jolla with its Alien Davik. Those native Android apps need some kind of Google not-open-code.
For example Threema I was looking for:

Threema uses Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) to notify the app of new messages in the background. If Google Apps are not installed, you will not be informed of new messages unless you enable polling in the app (the polling interval is fixed at 15 minutes and will cause some additional battery drain and data usage)
XPrivacy can't be installed on the Jolla Phone as I've tried it. Might be a stupid idea even as it's a virtual layer and not possible but I'm lacking that tech knowledge. Just doing trial and error there.

I'd like to have much more options & information's on Sailfish about data being accessed/sent out. Be it on the Android layer or Sailfish itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post: