Thread: Ask Nokia
View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
hardware improvements were implemented in the N800 that now require an OS break between the two devices.

Now the complaints are to the latter issue.

Come on, folks, it can't be both ways. As more information is revealed you should come to understand the necessity for the break. And as some have already acknowledged (while saying it "doesn't cut it") there will be an extension to maemo 2 that will bring the 770 closer to the N800. However, the devices are distinct enough that maemo 3 is warranted.
You say the hardware changes require an OS break. I don't see how this is true when I can run the same OS+Software on an old Intel Pentium with little RAM (you know, the ones that were considered fast at 90Mhz), an up to date AMD and a PowerPC, all of which have different hardware: graphics card, network controller etc. differ, one has no sound at all, only one of them is wifi-enabled, anther has a webcam attached...

Of course we're not talking about a binary image that can blindly be flashed onto the 770 as well as the N800. We're talking about the software as such (=the source) that should be compiled to run on both platforms. A 700 and a N800 are probably closer in hardware than the three desktop devices I took as an example above.