Thread: [Harmattan Maemo6] [Announce] CryptMee for Harmattan
View Single Post
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 405 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Europe
Hi meego_leenooks1!

First of all, many thanks for the donation.

Creating OTR for CryptMee was a lot of work. I did it primarily for my self and use it now in my everyday communication with 20+ XMPP contacts.

So let us clarify the problems you have been faced with.

Installing "extraplugins" is the right way to enable XMPP using a graphical interface. CryptMee did not touch this process. It just works with XMPP accounts but do not change the chat UI nor any other system component.

CryptMee just receive DBus events and is sending DBus events to the telepathy framework.

If you have some issues with unencrypted, plain XMPP communication after "extraplugins" installation, please reboot your device, so all changes done by "extraplugins" are activated. You can contact me using XMPP by this JID: chrm@draugr.de

If XMPP is running, start CryptMee, create private key (already done) and try to send yourself an encrypted OTR message from other device.

CryptMee will manage the key exchange, decrypts the message and will replace the unreadable message by a readable one in the message tracker - you are able then to read this message with the stock message UI.
It is not possible for me to refresh the chat view on-the-fly so you have to leave a chat session and open it again to see the decrypted message. You are also not able to write an encrypted message with the stock chat UI.

This restrictions let me create a full featured chat UI within CryptMee. It integrates OTR and emoji viewing - just use it to make stress-less OTR chats with your contacts.

There is still a bug: you cannot start an OTR chat with a new contact as long, as the key exchange did not happen. So the other site has to init the OTR process first.

I can of course fix this bug. The other restrictions regarding the stock chat-UI are not fixable (for me) without fixing some system libraries.

Next time I will also try to implement parts of "HTTP File Upload" for sending pictures and showing a picture preview of received images in chat UI.

Please, don't hesitate to contact me for any further XMPP/CryptMee questions!

The Following User Says Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post: