View Single Post
Jedibeeftrix: thanks, that's a nice article. However, I still don't think that we actually need over 4GB of RAM in the mobile space any time soon. I don't even think we need more than one core, but that's another topic.

I've got an x86 laptop with 16GB of RAM. The main use of that RAM (more than 70% of it) is either disk cache or virtual machines - several virtual machines ;-) For my browser, chat, terminals, OS, widgets and the lot I definitely need <4GB, perhaps a tiny bit more. I am happy with 64bit on my laptop, don't get me wrong, and I can report that it only got stable a couple of years ago (I have everything compiled with 64bit symbols, I don't run 32bit things, except on certain VM's).

Now, I think about my N9 - 1Gb of RAM is plenty, except in rare occasions. My next phone will have 1GB of RAM as well, which will be enough for another couple of years. Double that, then double it again, it will be plenty - no - it will be more than I need unless they do something with the display+device that enables me to use my mobile phone as an actual laptop. This isn't the case today. It may be the case for some tablets, but it's pretty rare - and if you are going to have a tablet with a keyboard and everything, you may as well get a proper laptop and not be restricted to the OS.

Don't get me wrong - I like innovation, I jus think that efforts sholud be spent elsewhere. Do we want to work on 64bit to avoid the painful transition that we experienced with x86? YES!!! Do we want it RIGHT NOW? I don't think so. Would you rather have an ARM CPU that is 40% more power efficient or one that is the same as today but runs 64bit? Give me the better power management please!

As for the original topic of this thread, I appreciate that eventually we'll need more memory, I don't see the use case today, whilst in the 90s we already knew about virtual machines, we already knew about memory heavy applications and yet it took us ages to migrate to a technology that could map more RAM. Hell, we even hacked it! :-)

One last point: ARM definitely wants to get into the 64bit arena _because_ of the server business, not sure that the mobile business definitely needs it, unless there is a huge common ground where migrating to 64bit all at once makes sense (think toolchains, OS kernels and so on).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post: