View Single Post
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Managed to finally install Leste again. I do not know what would be the right dd script to put the Leste image on sdcard, cause it is not told in the instructions. Neither there is mentioned to which format you should format the card. I formatted it to ext4 and searched dd instructions from internet and then checked raspbian and pinephone sites which have dd scripts and then just changed the image name and path to sd card. It installed but when booted it did not work. But then I used Linux Mint's usb img writer to put the img to sd card and Leste booted with using uboot menu. (Could be good to tell that have to boot the device with keyboard open to get to the menu).

When I myself checked the location of the sd card before using dd it was sdb1 so I used that without success. When I used the Mint's usb img writer I checked that it used only sdb as the sd card location. Maybe there was my mistake why using dd did not work.

But the experience has been something else than before. Last time I got Leste running it was smooth and fast, Firefox-esr launched, chromium was usable. Now it seems reeal slow and firefox crashes at launch. It is a sqlite3 related problem I think and last time I probably found a fix but can't remember did I download some version from somewhere or what.

Finnish/swedish keyboard layout not working even after reboot, after shutting down I need to remove battery to be able to start the device. Maybe there are fixes to these already.

I have gone through the Leste news posts to find out things, but these are missing:

How to add devel-repo to Leste? Last time I found it somewhere but now I can't find info of it.

There was in Leste news mentioned that I can add debian repositories to my sources list. Maybe I read carelessly but can't remember mentioned which debian version and to which list: sources.list or HAM list? I would like to install netsurf 3.10 and try to get the firefox not to crash.

In the news posts there was mentioned xephyr. I think that solved some problems last time (maybe the top bar covering browsers top bar) but now sudo apt install xephyr says no such package. Maybe it is in the devel-repo and maybe somewhere it is told what it is and how to add it but brains just won't get it.

Synaptic has problems and I hope using xephyr could possiby fix them (menus are totally black). I also do not remember was there a way to use right mouse click somehow.

I would wan't to be able to overclock device and take transitions away and tweak swap settings. I already edited the /etc/sysctl.conf with swappiness but that is all I have been able to do. So is there a way to overclock and disable transitions?

In some early news post there was mentioned performance optimized clutter plus desktop to install. Is this anymore needed?

There are in the news posts now probably outdated info mixed with up to date info about how to use Leste. Would be really good if someone who knows about things could make a Leste starting page which would gather all usefull and up to date information to one page which could be kept updated as Leste develops. Now new users have to do a lot of work to get to be on the right map.

Things to be on that page could have this xephyr stuff, changing passwords and setting users, firewall and security related stuff, repository stuff with info what to check if adding new repositories, some info of different window manager options, keyboard and language related stuff, and then info how to tweak performance (some like smooth, some just fast).

Going through the news posts made me - again - to honor - more - all the developers for their commitment and hard work they have done with Leste. So much to figure out and to solve and try, so much time put on this, and must have been many moments of frustration. So maybe someone who is not so exhausted of developing and is more just a power user of Leste could answer my questions, if someone has time and is willing.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2021-03-25 at 15:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: