View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
The Fremantle Porting Task Force is making progress with running newer kernel (4.6?) on Nokia N900. Which would mean newer glibc, and make updating chroots possible?
If FPTF can provide a more recent kernel, then sure, updating chroots should be no big problem.
Lately I haven't followed their work though. So I don't know how close they are to actually delivering a kernel.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I am also curious about running Netsurf on Maemo, thank you. But it seems to be in early alpha stage.
You can already run netsurf 3.2 in Easy Debian Jessie and after having a quick look at it I believe backporting 3.6 should not be a big deal.
Netsurf seems to be in bad shape in Debian though. It looks like its maintainer has vanished. So I wouldn't do any security-critical things with this netsurf build and I'm sceptical whether we will see more recent versions in Debian, which I would need as a base for backporting.

Another option might be to have a look at Palemoon. I once tried to build ED packges for it based on Steve Pusser's repo, but I failed because he only releases for the x86 architectures and I didn't figure out how to port that to armhf.
Regardless, even if I would have succeeded, I wouldn't have released these packages due to Palemoon's restrictive trademark policy. But I would have offered detailed instructions on how to repeat that build.
I think the most practicable way would be if someone asked Steve to offer an armhf build on his own (including Jessie).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: