Thread: GPD Pocket
View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
That just illustrates that you have had different experiences with a particular product, <snip>
Yes, the product being "Fedora 28 on GPD Pocket". Or even "Linux on GPD Pocket".
With "KDE" or "Gnome" making the same difference as the colour in my Fiesta example.

Some people, especially those in the DIY community, often tend to forget that software is also a product. You are used to half-finished product that you need to spend hours setting up, tweaking and configuring to suit your needs. You may even like it that way. I agree it is nice to have that option but you should not have to do that. Things should work straight out of the box. In my case they did not.

You may be pleased to hear that they do now and that I can happily and proudly agree that Linux on GPD Pocket works "fantastically".

It took me more than a day to get to that stage, having tried no fewer than four different images. Every single one of them had some issues, none of them worked right away. You may say that it is part of normal setup, I say it's inexcusable.

In case anyone cares, I have eventually settled on Xubuntu 18.04, having started from a 17.04 image linked from the Nexus511 site. Be warned, 17.04 is no longer supported and repo links are dead. But with some manual tweaks and two OS updates later, I have a perfectly working system. Yaay!

Sorry about the noise and big thanks to all who came to the rescue, especially theonelaw, sulu and thecursedfly.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: