View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
Even when putting the package on hold I can't seem to install new packages ; I get a dependency error for the following packages : libc6-dbg, libc6-dev, libc6-pic.
Can you post this output please:
Code:
dpkg -l | grep libc
I suspect that some of the packages you want to install depend on the libc6 packages you mentioned. Those are not installed by default and once they get an update from Debian my patched packages won't be compatible anymore.
That's why I upload update archives from time to time. These archives include the full set of patched glibc packages so you can manually install (dpkg -i) them.

And when I want to install vim I get :

Code:
vim : Depends: vim-runtime (= 2:7.4.488-7) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgpm2 (>= 1.20.4) but it is not going to be installed

E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install'  with no packages (or specify a solution).
What should I do now?
What happens if you run apt-get -f install ?

Too sad... this will mean the end of an up to date Debian system on our N900...
Well, it was always just a matter of time. Back then I was actually quite surprised that I got Jessie to run at all.
I think in the grand scheme of things we just have to realize that the N900 is a legacy device now, not because it is slow but because its software is basically unmaintainable, and we're hitting increasingly harder walls as time goes on.

The only thing I can offer now is to try to build Jessie backports on demand for software that is available in Stretch.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: