View Single Post
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
Here is my opinion...

This is an outstanding project. If there will be a ready device in the end, it would be priceless with the current market situation.
[...]
Can you explain to me why this would be a priceless device? I may be missing something (and if I am, please tell me what I'm missing), but why is this an attractive product now? As far as I can tell, the neo900 hardware will be about what one would have expected in a good phone circa 2011. So the neo900's only realistic selling point is privacy. As I understand it, the main privacy protections it will offer is the ability to power-off the baseband processor, and to prevent the baseband processor from having unrestricted DMA access to the device's main RAM.

But anytime you connect to a cell tower with any device, or even WiFi hotspot, you unavoidably become trackable. So how does the neo900 give you more privacy than you would have if you simply carried a cell phone that you put a battery in only when you wanted to contact a cell tower, and a laptop that used that cell phone's WiFi hotspot for internet access?

What am I missing? Who's going to want to buy one of these, at this late date? And why?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post: