View Single Post
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Homepage
On the package page, the homepage field is empty. Perhaps, this could be assigned to the Wiki page?
I'll do that for the next version.

Package information/description
Current:
Hildon event feed allows third-party applications or scripts to display events in the event feed application and homescreen widget.

Does this mean...
Hildon Event Feed (hildonevents) is an application that displays forthcoming events in its own desktop widget, in the form of an automatically updated list, or feed.

* Is this correct as well? *
* Hildon Event Feed can also be configured to
* conditionally initiate secondary events, when
* an event in the feed occurs.
Hildon Event Feed works in much the same way as the Harmattan Event Feed. I suppose I made the assumption that people were familiar with that.

The Event Feed displays events that are added to its database by third-party applications. These events are added using DBus.

Typical events:
  • Twitter tweet.
  • Facebook post.
  • News article from an RSS feed.
  • YouTube video.

A typical use case would be a twitter client adding latest tweets to the event feed, in the same way it would do if it had its own homescreen widget. When the user taps on a tweet in the event feed UI/widget, the action specified in the event will be launched (i.e. launch the twitter client to display that specific tweet). The twitter client could also add a refresh action to the event feed database, which would be launched when the user chooses to refresh the event feed. The refresh action will typically launch the same script/application used to add events to the event feed.

One point I'd make about the examples (I think there's only one at the moment, but written in two languages?), is: would it be possible to annotate them to say what the code does? Not too much detail, something like: in this example we're going to <action>, in order to do this we <send_signal> and <receive_signal>. Clearly, a full dbus tutorial is beyond the scope of this Wiki/article but a little context would be really helpful.
There are three examples:
  1. Add an event using dbus-send.
  2. Add an event using Python.
  3. An example script in Python which retrieves latest 20 YouTube videos matching the query provided, and adds them to the event feed. In this case, when the user chooses a video from the event feed, the webpage is shown in the browser.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2012-10-02 at 15:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post: