View Single Post
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Before the 770 came out I had created a list of all the things I would need/want in a portable computing device. It was a huge, impractical list but I had an HP iPac that I never used and I wsa determined to understand what I would need in a device to ensure that I would use it.

Happily, the 770 covered many of the items in my list. The N800 covers even more! Here is all that reamins of my list:

* USB support for drives and external monitors. (Keyboards, mice, printers, etc. can be handled with bluetooth, so I don't care about support for them.) Also, and this is in all caps so Nokia will see it, USB CHARGING!

* A real camera: either 3 mega-px with optical zoom or 7 mega-px with digital zoom. (Center the camera and add an LED lamp/flashlight for night-time photos)

* Either WiLan and GPS, or better yet a universal radio that can send/recieve TV, FM, AM, GPS, x-Lan, WiFi-x, CB, etc.
Does anyone know what it would take to have a universal radio? Why do we have all these special purpose radios?
* Thinner, lighter, faster: Actaually, the N800 is darn thin, light, and fast. But have you seen those calculators that are the size of a business card? If the device were made like that, I could run with it in my pocket. While the speed is actually enough for now, adding external drives and monitors would require an increase.

That's all! I didn't mention memory, storage, or a higher resolution screen. I'm surprisingly happy with the N800!

As far as software goes, Nokia should let open source handle that.. (I myself am working on something really cool!)

TEN YEARS: What about in the next 5 or 10 years? The above is fairly future proof, but I think it would be cool to have some sensors, like a spectrometer, to monitor things like the quality of air, water, food, soil, etc. And Perhaps a bio/chemical sample reader that could check blood sugar levels, DNA properties, etc. An IR reader could be used as a thermometer among other things.

Post your list!

Bruce