View Single Post
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Purchased From: CompUSA, Troy Michigan
Purchase/Arrival Date: 12-17-2005 / 12-17-2005

- I can't even begin to adequately describe how crisp the screen is. Fonts 1/2 a millimeter tall are clear enough to read at arm's length.

- The sound is decent providing you're not in a loud area

- .DEB packages are a snap to install (So far so good on the control guys!)

- The protective case and overall design of the unit is great, very useable

- Charging time is excellent! A friend (who also bought one) and I braved a Krispy Kreme (yech!) and plugged in for 20 minutes - - the charge lasted the whole way back to Toronto (3 hours) with me scanning for networks every few minutes in between Mahjongg games.

Dislikes:
- With protective case in "in use" position, pressing the directional button left isn't unobstructed.

- WLAN seemed a little but flakey but it appears as though the device is holding onto APs that I had just scanned for 30 seconds previous even though they were nowhere near us (30 seconds at highway speeds = 2-3 Kilometers)

- 770 unable to see RSMMC card while connected to the PC (access violation prevention? Heh!) Same with the computer not being able to see the 770 or vice versa.

- Handwriting recognition. I'm a sloppy writer, seems like people with "mommy writing" would excel at using this. Not me.

- Virtual KB: People use the colon a lot. It shouldn't be on the CAPS alternate layout. (I got used to this in 3 seconds though.)

Favorite apps:
Thus far I've installed GAIM, Xterm, and LXDoom. All of them installed without a hitch. GAIM is a little bit buggy in that if I try to browse for a display pic, crash. I can hit the home button to minimize most of the other open windows but 2 GAIM ones stick around. Shutdown's the only option. Display pics aren't important anyway, MSN chat worked fine.

Comments:
This is my new favourite toy. I can't wait to slip the 770 into my pocket and use it every chance I get. Browsing is exactly what it should be on a handheld. (So far anyway).

After I finally got some hands on use, I really think people need to guage their expectations. This isn't a laptop. Nokia chose their terminology carefully when they dubbed it an internet appliance. Lying in bed and browsing, streaming the sole punk radio feed I've found (it's bad), and installing some new apps all while reclined is the niche this thing will fill.

So. Will they port Open Office to it? No. That's what your lappy's for.

I wish this review was more coherent, but I'm still awestruck at this little thing. The pictures do the actual size no justice. People have small hands it seems.

Cheers,
Hedge!