View Single Post
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
untrue.

SFOS has no dependencies to Android and can run well on any HW that you can get Mer running on. Think about it a while; there are SFOS implementations running on non-android devices, for example RaspberryPI and N9(50)
Also the original Jolla sbj1 was first planned to run on NovaThor SoC requiring no android-funny-business and only had to be changed when STE pulled the plug on the chipset...

The reason most SFOS ports rely on libhybris is because that's all that is available for most phone hardware.
If some vendor made a non-android device platform it'd be no-brainer to port SFOS for it. Without a trace of android.

I agree, mostly what I meant too. Device drivers is the big problem. But the fact is that 100% of Jolla devices so far run Android kernel and libhybris. Even the tablet that is Intel x86 hardware (I have a Jolla tablet, too)! Once drivers are overcome, any FLOSS distro could run on the device. For sure GUI applications need some tweaking for phone use and touch interface. Sailfish is also partly closed source at GUI level.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post: