Thread: GSM firewall
View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
However please note that Neo900 has NO way the GSM/UMTS stack can inject ANY commands into the main system. Our modem is sandboxed and we even do more than this, we have surveillance for the sandbox, detecting every little move the modem does, then decide if it's concerning or expected. Worst case we shoot complete modem down when it misbehaves. In that regard we're even better than cryptophone used for the IMSI-catcher "firewall" liked to in above post.
Yes. I'd expect Neo900 is of the few devices that are not vulnerable to this kind of attack at all.
The worst bunch is anything with integrated SOC running baseband having shared memory access with main CPU.

However, I personally feel that it is significantly higher risk to get your device infected with "standard" malicious SW having nothing to do with BB or 3G stack. There exist loads of crap especially for Androids aiming for that.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Regarding masquerading an IMSI-catcher as regular BTS (incl Cell_ID and all): _can_ be done, but begs for trouble, so usually they don't do it aiui.
/j
True, there currently being no device that does detect it
(as I believe cryptophone is still vaporware...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: