View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
@Texrat:
You see, the problem I have with both - changing the title and moving it to off topic - is that it's clearly against the original intentions the thread was opened with.

If a thread goes "off the rails", as you call it, then - well, then it does. All long threads have this tendency. If now, after everything related to Chuck Norris has been posted, people start discussing an older version of an application that was available for the N800, what are you going to do? Move the whole thing yet again, to Maemo 4 or N800 or applications or whatever? Or are you going to put each single posting into a different category?

My perception is that the/some moderators think people use this forum like a book: click through the table of contents, find a thread, read the whole thread and expect it to be consistent and on topic from the first post to the last, like a chapter in a book.

I don't believe people do this. I think they use the search function if they need information. I think they follow threads for the same reason you follow a conversation: for social reasons, not to gather information.

The PR 1.2 thread was a serious thread in the beginning and some postings still are. Some others are "while we wait"-jokes, but as it's "while we wait for PR 1.2", they're still related to the original topic.

Changing a thread title that somebody else chose for his original posting only because some 100 pages later people laugh about Chuck Norris is... no, I'm not gonna say this. Just this one thing: Does it make sense for somebody who starts reading this thread *now* to have it in off topic and to find Chuck Norris in the title? Go to the first page and answer this question.