View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
and that is exactly the problem. None of them sticks arround long enugh so that us geeks culd sitck with them. Basically, every time I was changing the phone in last 10+ years I was also changing the platform.
And again, the point of having an open platform is so that YOU decide which software to run on it, not the hardware's manufacturer.

It doesn't matter if Purism is gone in five years from now. If the Librem 5 is truly open, then there is nothing stoping you (or a likeminded community with sufficient resources) from supporting the software on your own.
And if all of a sudden some other manufacturer creates an equally open phone at that time then chances are high that you'll be able to port that well self-supported OS that you loved on the Librem 5 to the new device.

That's the beauty of FLOSS, it's (almost) timeless. I'm running Debian on a laptop that I bough just a few months ago. And I'm running the same Debian on an ancient PC that is from the last millenium. Purism's promise is basically, to port that concept to phones.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: