Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Google Maps (both app and web) and Here are out of competition, because they presumably are primarily data collecting tools, while navigating / displaying maps is their secondary function.
In terms of functionality, user interaction and GUI elements, these are not out of competition. Lately, when working on search redesign, I started looking into what's done by those and by OSMAnd and Maps.me. In case of search functionality, HERE was most intuitive, but still I found some things confusing. In the end, we would benefit from looking into what is done around and, if found interesting and useful, mold it into our application.

Obviously, Google and HERE have access to some data that we don't (public transport & traffic, for example), but even these data can be found in part through some services.

There is also Apple Maps tutorial which is good watch to get a feeling of that application. At some point, we would probably have to make similar tutorials for different functions. For example, how many of you are aware that you can search for favorite coffee shop chain along your route when using Pure Maps/OSM Scout Server combo? Tutorials for such things maybe are great way of distributing info. Note that since we have Linux support, all tutorials can be done on desktop with video capture supported out of the box. But that will come later.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: