View Single Post
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Hello everybody. As i promised a few weeks back, i will post my some pics of my modded n900 . The idea behind this came from the need to be able to read a usb flash memory anytime, anywhere, withot carry usb adapters or cables (AND becase my htc x9500 is not very pocketable ). Also i decided (this was not really my idea) to be able to charge the phone anytime in the sunlight - so i sticked a solar panel (from an old solar charger) on the battery cover. However the solar charging is very very slow, and becase the pannel ios connected directly to the + and - of the battery, the n900 does not look like its charging, also no indication of charging in the battery graph either, but i made a test in wich i depleted the battery completly so the phone could not be turned on. i left it for almost 4 hours in direct sunlight and i got only 4 - 5 % just enough to turn the phone on and connect to wifi to check email. So yes the solar panel mod will only became usefull in case of a plane crash in a deserted island . On the other hand the usb mode is really usefull, and no i did not removed the mini usb port of the phone; instead i solder some wires from the mini usb to a host usb removed from an old cable. Here is a pic:

As you can see i removed the lock-unlock switch, but i solder a wire from its pad to an old nokia 3310 power switch to keep the function of the button. I did this becase the loc-unlock button act as option menu button in android (i also use nitdroid). Here is a pic of the new placement of the switch (you can also see the solar pannel):

Here are some pics of the modified case to fit the usb port inside, i also had to cut the resonance chamber of the right speaker:

Here are some more pictures of the motheboard:

And here some pics with the assembled phone:

Another note: Pali made a great application: Usb Host Mode New - that allows usb+charging. Becase i didn't removed the mini usb port i can use a modified charger to charge the battery and power the usb device connected to the other end of n900. The "normal" charger will not work with this mod becase it short-circuit the data pins of the usb port.
Also the mini usb port can still be normally used for pc suite and mass memory mode with normal n900 usb cable.

Here is one with the battery cover with the solar panel contacts:

If anybody want to do this to his/hers n900 it should know that the "mutilation degree" applied to the phone is high, and it also should have some basic electronic/soldering knwoledge. Also a soldering station is recommended becase mini usb contacts are really small.
But overall in my opinion it worth it. I have now in my pocket a device that can do almost anything (no more need of the htc x9500 )
I also tried to make a video with the usb host in action, but the nokia e72 (belonging to the person who helped me with this) i used for the pics, simply did not recorded anything (software problems)

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post: