View Single Post
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Look at it from an individual business' point of view. International trade has challenges. You have to deal with different rules and regulations, custom checks, tariffs and who knows what else.
Not particularly significant challenges though. For over 30 years I was a Director of a UK manufacturing company that traded right around the world. Once you've got your business processes setup for a particular locale you're away, none of it was rocket science.

This is where the idea of a single market comes in. It expands what "within our country" means. It makes it easy to forget that Finland, France, Germany, Slovakia, Romania are different countries. From an individual business' point of view, it makes no difference whether you are buying from or selling to Helsinki, Frankfurt or Milano.
You're ignoring processes like Intrastat declarations, ECSL or (heaven forbid) VAT Triangulation.

That, my friend, is the exact opposite of "not allowing free trade".
The EU is a protectionist bloc with a very high tariff barrier at its perimeter (and a tariff schedule that protected German and French industries but weren't well suited to the UK economy), it's hardly a beacon of free trade.

Especially considering that those 450 million cover most of the richer part of the world.
Shush... don't mention Target 2 and that the Bundesbank is actually insolvent.
And then we have the demographics of Europe to consider.

What is worse, the single market made trading so easy that some people, particularly in the country that has been subject to decades of relentless anti-EU propaganda, forgot that it was the single market that made it easy. They take their luck and privilege for granted and are whinging when they foolishly throw it away and suddenly see the consequences. Like, for example, Brexit voting British fishermen.
The UK paid an EU membership fee higher than tariffs for the "luck and privilege" of trading without tariffs.

Furthermore import tariffs are money going in to the UK treasury where they are used to pay for the National Health Service, Education, Social Services, ...

The membership fee is money going out of the UK treasury where it pays for lovely new infrastructure for the UK's competitors plus private jets / free wine cellars / obscenely generous pensions for incompetent EU politicians and bureaucrats, ... Oh, you can't beat that warm fuzzy feeling you get from subsidizing your competitors.

Given a choice between the two above I know which I'd rather fund.

The Following User Says Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post: