View Single Post
Some quick comments on the UI as I go along (you are probably already aware of most of these):

- On the startup assistant, the two big buttons should ideally be finger- or thumb-buttons to get the proper themeing (HildonButtons with HILDON_SIZE_FINGER_HEIGHT flag).

- After pressing one of the buttons and getting the list, I cancelled the dialog by clicking outside. Now I got an empty window, and the menu doesn't open. I have to restart. Also, the title reads "gPodder - gPodder".

- "Do you really want to quit gpodder?" should be avoided if possible. It is much better to keep state between restarts if closing the window would otherwise be harmful.

In the "Find new podcasts" dialog:

- Notebooks should be avoided, of course the alternative is not obvious in this case. The most straight forward would be another view with three buttons. Perhaps this would work better with stackable windows, rather than a dialog. Or as a wizard with forward and back buttons (this would also allow to go back to the first page, which seems impossible right now).

- The entries should all be HildonEntries, and the buttons should be finger sized.

- The Top podcasts list is still using a scrolled window and not a proper Hildon style treeview.

- All treeviews should not have a header. The checkboxes should be removed in favour of using a hildon style listview in multi-selection mode.

- For the styling of the list view text items, I recommended DefaultSystemFont for the first row, and SmallSystemFont with SecondaryTextColor for the second row. No bold text. Implementing this can be tricky (and should be better documented), but it's a rough guideline.

- I'm not sure about this, but the Cancel button should probably the the lowest one.

"New episodes available" dialog:

- "New episodes available" text already appears in the dialog title, no need to repeat it (in big letters) in the dialog itself.

- "Select the episodes [..]" text may be superfluous, I would consider removing it in favour of more vertical space for the listview.

- Same comments about the list view as in "Find new podcasts" dialog.

- The "x episodes selected" text in the bottom right doesn't fit in the remaining space. The "select all" and "select none" buttons were probably meant to be moved to the right, as in the "Find new podcasts" dialog. On the other hand, that text doesn't seem very useful.

Main window:

- Treeview header should be removed.

- GtkPaned should not be used anymore, it would be better to split this up into two windows, one with a list of podcast directories and one actually listing all the podcasts (I expect people to rebel against this... but this is how the Fremantle UI should be used ).

- No application menu? This is probably just a bug, as I can't see a way to add new podcasts now.

- The list of podcasts is lacking a highlight when pressed. Something is odd there.

- When I click on a podcast, I get an info screen with a textview that has dark text on dark background. This is probably a disabled textview? I will need to fix this, but a disabled textview is certainly not the best way to display this text. I would suggest a normal HildonTextView, with editable set to false. If you want a dark, borderless background, you can name the widget "hildon-readonly-textview". For a dark background with borders, you can name the widget "hildon-reversed-textview". Both of these probably won't work correctly in the SDK though.

- I cannot figure out how to actually play the podcast. It shows a yellow star in the list, but it's not obvious to me what this indicates.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post: