View Single Post
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
Let me quote some useful info from the previous thread for anyone nt willing to navigate through pages and pages of "thank you"s and fanboys complaining.

Originally Posted by hobarrera View Post
Let me clarify some things I've noticed some people get messed up about after reading this entire thread:

Telepathy is a framework for building IM clients. Plugins can be written for telepathy, that allow any application using it to connect to different protocols.

Empathy (the gnome chat client) uses it as a backend, as well as the maemo chat client, and probably some other clients do as well.

This means that writting an Y-protocol plugin for telepathy, enables all these clients to connect to Y-protocol.

On the other hand, there's pidgin (http://pidgin.im). It's a multiplatorm IM client, that also uses plugins for different protocols; there are called "prpls".

Finally, there's a telepathy plugin, that in turn, uses prpls. So, by writting a plugin for pidgin, you allow pidgin to use it, and telepathy as well.

I'd vote for a pidgin plugin, since this mean that we allow a greater number of clients to use it.

Also, a LICENSE AGREEMENT forbids you from reverse engineering. If it's enforcable or not, depends on where you live, BUT, if person A provides the dumps, and person B develops, person B has never agreed to any license, so he's surely in the clear.
[...]
Originally Posted by hobarrera View Post
[...] I've come across something interesting; "telepathy-butterfly" (the msn plugin) is implemented in python.
I'm currenly writting a foursquare client in python for maemo, so once I'm done and have some more time on my hands, I might be able to help you guys implementing a WA plugin (depends if I find some good XMPP implementation to use as a reference, since this is strongly XMPP-based).
I've read QML is rather slow on N900, or something alike. PLEASE make sure I'm wrong if you plan to use it.

I *might* be able to help in future when I finish my current proyect.
If there's any more python dev here, patching stuff from telepathy-butterfly and possibly xmpppy might be a cool idea.

Whatever you do, don't use some really not-popular language.

On any case, I've given this some though, and I think we might use some small app to retreive password/etc, and then store it into a file.
This means the telepathy plugin can be separate, and requires *no separate gui*. It'd be just a backend, and therefor, reusable in innumerable platforms.

Oh, and XMPP *does* support multiple persons in a single conversation. Google Talk is an XMPP service, and most things you can do there, are standard XMPP. For multi-people chat, a "chat room" is created temprarily. Read, as a minimum, the wikipedia page for some info on XMPP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hobarrera For This Useful Post: