View Single Post
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
I guess it betrays my ignorance, but...
is it possible to use/install proprietary/closed-source apps from the original N900 OS on Leste? Possibly to ensure functionality that currently is not available on Leste?
Not "officially" I guess, but by manually adding the (which?) sources to apt?
And if yes, would these apps be installable & fully compatible with Maemo Leste?
And what about the huge catalogue of opensource apps that exists for the Maemo/MeeGo platform? Openrepos etc.?
No ignorance there. Theoretically it should be possible to run some parts of Fremantle on Leste. I've done it - a basic chroot works, but actually /running/ applications runs into lots of weird crashes. They may be something we can solve, I don't know.

As far as packages on maemo.org extras go, as long as they're open, there's a good chance it won't be that much work to port. Especially once we have a Hildon Qt port in place as well.

I don't know specifically about Openrepos, but in addition to whatever we port, packages from Debian are also available.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I'm not so sure. On one hand, there is ti-omap3-sgx-dev. On the other, dev packages should not contain any .so files. These may have been just symlinks, but I won't be able to check it right now. It would be worth checking if devuan still includes .so files in the newer versions or in backports.
Devuan doesn't package ti sgx at all as far as I know - this is our package.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Could we possibly use Gnome Shell instead of hildon? (this may require too much RAM for N900, but possibly for F(x)tec Pro1...?
Maybe, but it'll require a lot of changes all over the place.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post: