View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Release: 0.9.0

I am happy to release 0.9.0 that brings Mapnik as an alternative rendering backend. This is probably the biggest release so far in terms of size - with the bundled libraries we are reaching 15MB for RPM package. And that's without mentioning huge map files (more on that a bit later). The release is not perfect, but I can probably tinker on it for months if I want to get it out very polished. So, I decided to release a bit early.

Mapnik brings an excellent rendering of maps including world coastlines and rendering of all available maps on device. But all this comes at cost - large maps and possibly slower rendering. So, its up to you to decide which backend to use. I have a preference to use Mapnik

With the introduction of new backend, there is a problem with the map updates. However, since I am not planning to add too many backends, I think its better to work around it on your (as a user) side than to start investing time into programming fixing the issue. So, a general remark: When a new backend is added, such as with the release of 0.9.0, please ensure that you have subscription information updated. For that, in Map Manager, click on "Check for updates", decline updates, and unsubscribe/subscribe each territory that you have subscribed. After that, proceed with the downloads. This is not needed if you don't want to use the added backend(s).

Finally, regarding this release, there are some issues with the maps distribution server. Right now, I switched to old CDN model. As soon as data.modrana.org is back online, I will stop distribution via CDN (or when the credit runs out, whatever comes first). So, before downloads, just click on "Check for updates". This should reroute you to the current distribution server. Sorry for inconvenience. If anyone has an access to the server that can be used for maps distribution and wants to contribute, please let me know, we could always use them as a backup, for example.

I will look into how to reduce Mapnik datasets. There is an idea on switching to different geometry BLOB format, but it requires some testing. I will not be able to probably get as low as libosmscout does, but would give a shot on reducing it. Right now, serving Germany/France as a single database is not that simple on mobile with Mapnik, but I haven't tried.

In addition to the reduction of the map database size, there is some work to be done on styling it as well. I have adopted a style used as a basis for many others and modified it to suit SQLite database. Style is available at https://github.com/rinigus/osm-bright-sqlite . It does require further review on which features should be visible at which zoom level. Try to use it and give the feedback on when should we should house numbers, POIs, and such. Some braver users could try to re-style it, make a style for night driving, ...

Enjoy using it!
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: