View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Browsers:
Netsurf (fast, mostly up to date, but limited web features), Midori (slow but acceptable, pretty complete feature-wise, outdated)
Both via Easy Debian, but I try to avoid web browsing on the N900 wherever I can.

Camera:
mixed Nokia's original app (what was its name?) and BlessN900.
But always having a pretty decent compact camera never made me actually consider the N900 for that task. Actually, whenever I look at pictures I took with it, I regret not having had my actual camera with me at that time.

Email:
Claws mail via ED or web interface via Midori (depending on account)

Mediaplayer:
moc via ED. There's no actual reason for that. I just use moc wherever I can and it works well on the N900 too. The one thing moc does better than Nokia's player is that it doesn't slow down with lots of files.

Map:
mainly Marble (mostly via ED, some via Fremantle)
Fremantle's version is too old to create tracks (but still can import them) but it's easier accessible than in ED.

Kernel: PowerKernel with CSSU + overclocked to 900 with powerpatch installed.
Um, yeah, 900MHz give or take and something with "power" sounds about right. I haven't checked for too long.

Swap:
2GB on µSD card. My previous 64GB card died around Xmas so I just got a new one. (Wow, 200GB have really become cheap!)

vpnc/ssh:
Really, this has always been my main reason for getting and having the N900 in the first place. And it still works. Everything else besides phoning is really just for fun, because I can.

Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Easy debbie: There are updated instructions of how to install latest debian with netsurf 3.8 but not yet tried it. Any other distros in use with members? An if why and what are benefits?
There's basically two groups of distros out there:
A: Those based on glibc, like ED, Debian derivatives (e.g. Kali) or basically any major Linus distro
B: Those based on anything else, e.g. musl, like Alpine

Group A has been in a coma for two years (Debian Stretch release) and is currently dying for good (Jessie fades into oblivion) because glibc doesn't like Fremantles ancient kernel anymore.
Anyone who still uses these is basically riding a dead horse. I'm just hoping my zombie horse still gets me far enough to find a living one in the form of an N900 successor.

Group B is not affected because musl doesn't care for the kernel version. But this group is largely unexplored, I guess because it doesn't promise easy accessibility of vast amounts of popular desktop software.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: