View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zagrim View Post
I do have also another feature request I quickly checked the Android version of Situations and it doesn't seem to have this, either.
Let's say one wants to have wifi enabled and mobile data disabled in some locations, and otherwise have wifi disabled and mobile data enabled. One way to do this is to have defined areas/locations (e.g. by cell IDs, just like in Situations currently) and on top of that events like "left area" and "entered area".
This is actually what I am using Situations for - it is can be done quite easily using the current feature set.

Let me elaborate:

Let's say I want to have wifi enabled (and mobile data disabled) at home and the other way around anywhere else. I then set up these three situations:
  • at home - based on proximity of my wifi network, triggering it will disable mobile data
  • around home - based on cellular networks at home & a condition (situation != at home), triggering it will enable both mobile data and wifi
  • outside - based on a condition (situation != at home OR around home), triggering it will disable wifi

It is not that straightforward, but I hope it helps, because I've been happily using this scenario ever since Situations came out for Jolla.

EDIT: It would work much better if the wifi condition in Situations checked connected networks only, because sometimes the wifi has a low signal and disconnects (but is still visible) and I end up without an internet connection. If the condition was as I suggest, it would seamlessly switch between wifi and mobile data in such situations.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: