View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Dave, Symbian was more than an OS to Nokia.
Wasn't the most important factor Symbian being Nokias cashcow? That is what gave management justification to neglect other inhouse developments until all trains to successfully shift away from symbian had left the station in 2008.

In my interpretation, Nokia failed from its past success and not being able to turn its ships crusted steering wheel when they finally realized the size of the iceberg.

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
You are implying no ecosystem = no future. But if that'd be true, how comes android made it?
Timing was key imo. There had been a short window in 2006-2007 to realize the impact that Apple would make by turning the game from business and nerd tech into some awkward NLP inspired mind control like emotion based thingy. Nokia Board had a leaked iPhone on the table according to another book i read but did not draw the right conclusions or just could not comprehend completely at the time. Which is admittedly really hard to judge from the pure device without knowing the strategy behind it i guess.
Don't know if Google board was genius or lucky but they where able to hit the market with a competitive product, slamming into the low price segment Apple "left for them" with full financial force.
Elop was just a symptom of Nokia Board grabbing for the last weathered straw imo.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post: