View Single Post
Originally Posted by sirvival View Post
Hi,
its nice to see things happening for the n900 again.
I have a broken (GSM module) n900 and a everyday working one.

So my plan is to try out leste when it leaves the alpha and goes beta on the broken one.

I have some questions (hope they have not been answered already):
- I have not counted the people involved but from what I gather there are not a lot doing the heavy lifting. If the beta is out and lets say there is a bug in the kernel, will the fix be automatically available or will it require work on your side?
I am not exactly sure what you mean, but there will definitely be work required to fix the bug. Sometimes reporting the bug upstream is enough, other times, we have to do it ourselves. Really, I hope that once we show that what we are trying to achieve is worthwhile, more people will join in. A lot of work has been done by many people over the years, without this work Maemo Leste would not have been possible. Some of these people are still around, still do kernel work, or other work. I believe that with the right focus, we can get these people to (re)join the effort, and have more (wo)manpower.

Originally Posted by sirvival View Post
- Will most of the applications from extra etc. be adapted to leste? Or is your scope in maemo "standard" applications only?

Thx!
That depends on demand. Many application might just need recompilation, so then there is just a bit of packaging work involved. Others might need some fixes, or parts rewritten.

You won't be able to take existing debs and just run them, but that is by design. Getting stuff from extras in will be, just like everything else, based on demand, time, and community effort.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post: