View Single Post
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Well, that's your opinion, and I can respect that without having to agree with it.

Nokia needed radical and rapid change; many of us criticised them for failing to do this, that, or the other. We saw them fail with many devices and services following the N95's huge success and felt helpless as iOS and Android took over the world.

And then this guy Elop comes along who starts to shake things up. He has a radical plan, and the energy to implement it at top speed. It is just too early to proclaim him either a success or a failure yet - we'll need to get to at least the end of 2012 (EDIT) to see if Elop's Nokia have been able to make any headway.

Until then, change is painful - as in all things in life. Market share will fall further, which runs the risk of more profit warnings and reduced creditworthiness - these are all part of the change necessary to turn a company around; no pain = no gain.

Did we really expect someone to just come in as CEO and wave a magic wand over Symbian and Maemo/Meego and achieve what Nokia have failed to implement over the last few years?

Did we really expect anyone could get all this right second-time round when Nokia had failed first time?

What Elop is doing is a huge gamble; he's trying to leap-frog over the opposition whose current OS's are approaching mid-life by adopting a nascent OS that is still largely unformed.

I couldn't use WP7 as my everyday device, nor could many, I suspect. But Mango will bring huge strides in usability and features. Nokia's experience will help shape WP beyond Mango and the potential of that is way too big to contemplate here.

But to get there we need to give Elop's Nokia time. nevermind the N9, the Sea Ray prototype shows how far Elop's Nokia have come in the very short time he has had within the company.

to get a new device ready for market usually takes a manufacturer over two years, and Elop's Nokia will have undercut that considerably if they launch in early 2012. If they launch in Oct/Nov they'll become the stuff of legend.

You are right in one sense: Elop will have to destroy the old for the new to flourish. The message has to be clear: Windows Phone is Nokia's future. If that means being seen to kill off Symbian and Meego, then that is a risk worth taking.

But we should also remember that nothing is truly 'killed off'; Meego still exists and despite Elop's words will remain an option for Nokia's future.

I hope so, because from what I've seen so far, and my time with the N900 I bloody love it

If that is the case why did Elop allow such an impressive Meego device in the form of the N9 to be released to the market if he wants to destroy it? Why didn't he, has the CEO, insist the swipe UI was kept back for a future (WP7?) device and just release the N9 with the standard meego UI?

It seems to me Elop cannot control his own Nokia developers and his graf about the Nokia meego tablet, along with other commnets in the past, suggests he doesn't really know what is going on at Nokia, outside his own WP7 world.