View Single Post
Originally Posted by nanderv View Post
At this very moment, complex (eg. keyboard, complex camera systems) Jolla Other Halves aren't commercially viable yet, because the market is small, except maybe a keyboard other half.

I think by the end of december, around 6000 jolla devices will be around. Let's say one in six want a jolla keyboard, then the market for keyboards is 1000 by the end of december.

The value of the parts of such an other half is probably arount €8, for a batch size of 1000. The prize I think you can sell them for is around €25.

This means you have a profit of €18000. This isn't much to justify development of such a piece of hardware, but.. The market will grow, so it's probably just commercially viable.

A better plan is to create designs for a slider other half, which we obtain in higher numbers, and create a website with jolla designs, where you can buy parts, so you can assemble them yourself.

This way we don't all have to reinvent the wheel and no-one has to take the economical risk.
Modable HWKB OH would rock. Choose: extra battery, sensors, storage... Kind of the puzzle phone idea G suddenly supported. I'm just afraid to start a production line you need investment, prototyping costs, not sure if community can pull this off