View Single Post
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
If this is accurate, it looks as though Apple will be among the first to market with lightpeak in their upcoming devices. This is a smart move, and once again, one that the industry should take notice of.
This is because Intel enjoys using Apple as a showcase for their newest consumer-level technologies. This is also why no Intel chipset supports USB 3.0 (which is also why no Apple system has USB 3.0.) This does not make Apple smart, simply a willing guinea pig for a likely successful experiment.

Lightpeak will dramatically shrink the connector
The connector shares form factor with USB (beyond the Intel demo) IIRC, giving support for older USB devices along with newer LP devices.

The connector is ultra-low power, and the chipset footprint is tiny.
Err, I think you mean the -chipset- has a tiny footprint (which is unremarkable,) and the connector -might- for endpoint LP devices.

Believe me, I can't wait to see what this does for interconnects, but I'll be waiting for Linux/Windows support and a PCIe card. I've bought one mac, and I'm good for another, well, long long while.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
while light peak is technically interesting, i worry about intel using it as leverage to control the direction of the tech world. They did try to get a 1 year exclucive on usb3 host chips for instance.
I don't recall that at all. I -do- recall AMD and some 3rd parties getting fussy about the spec, though. Don't forget that Intel are basically the lead design on pretty much every major PC bus in use today (USB, PCI-Express) and hold huge amounts of leverage within them, and Light Peak changes nothing with respect to that. They'll play nice regardless though, lest the EU and DoJ come down on them.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
My guess is that bids to control the technology will potentially hurt its rate of adoption unless intel plans to price it low and fully meet demand.
Intel will integrate it into their chipsets. They'll probably also release a spec, like with USB, so 3rd party vendors can create their own interfaces.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post: